Impacting student’s life is a major goal of a good teacher in the society. Effective Teaching doesn’t depend only the delivery during the lecture but also the time utilized by a teacher in doing a thorough preparation of the study material. There are various things which we need to follow in order to have a high impact on students learning and teachers teaching, The three key areas that make the required impact are
Creating high Impact Teaching involves
- Creating a positive first impression.
In today’s high paced professional world creating first impression are vital to gain trust of our audience and establishing professional credibility. It is critical that our audience sees us as real, believable, and trustworthy. The guidelines to be followed are
- Be Ourselves and show our uniqueness
- Capitalize on our strengths
- Relax and the audience will relax
- Focus on our training goals.
- Presenting Complex information clearly.
A good presentation to clearly explain a technical or complicated subject. Always consider the topic from the audience ‘s point of view. The guidelines to be followed are
- Determine the method of organisation to be used.
- Narrow the subject to key points or steps.
- Consider the level of expertise of the audience
- Keep Language simple
- Use analogies or illustrations to simplify concepts.
- Communicating with greater impact.
Presenting material allows full expression and lets the audience hear and see emotional concept of the message. Presentation of message becomes even more important way to deliver a message with impact. The guidelines to be followed are
- Deliver with ownership and feeling- word emphasis, Pauses, Pacing, Voice modulation, Phrasing
- Maintain eye contact with audience
- Avoid being tied to a script or lecture
- Use expressions and gestures.
- Responding to Difficult classroom situations.
One of the greatest mistakes we can make is to lose composure when in pressure situations. As individuals in positions of influence, what we say, how we say, and how we respond to what we deem difficult situations can have an effect on how others see our technical competence and ability to teach.
The guidelines to be followed are
- Decide on key positive communication messages
- Anticipate possible questions
- Prepare supporting evidence
- Avoid appearing defensive
- Pay particular attention to grooming
- Motivating others to Action.
The purpose of most professional presentations is to get action of some kind: a commitment from a student to learn, a clear next step in the midst of a long project, a team decision to change direction and so on. Even presentations that seem to be simple updates call for some decision or action from someone. The guidelines to be followed are
- Identify the action the audience is to take.
- Determine how this action will benefit them.
- Write out key points of the message.
- Select a personal incident to substantiate the key points.
- Use convincing language.
Compiled By: Prof. Sweta Kamat
Assistant professor, Computer Engineering